head head head

I have lost my National Insurance number. What do I do?

You will normally be sent a National Insurance number, which looks something like AB123456C, just before your 16th birthday.

If you have lost your National Insurance number you should contact HM Revenue and Customs. You can either complete an online form available on the HMRC website or call the National Insurance Registrations helpline on 0845 915 7006 (lines open 8.30 am to 5.00 pm Monday to Friday).

Even if you are working part-time or earning a low wage, perhaps too low to pay National Insurance contributions, you must still have an NI number to take a job.